- If you maintain residential ties in Canada (a home, spouse or common-law partner, a property) you are considered to be a factual resident of Canada.
- File for Canada and report all income, both inside and outside of Canada for the year
- If you are Canadian and you spend more than 31 days present in the US you are required to file a Form 8840 with the IRS to claim Canada as your tax residence for the year.
- It is important to determine if and how US tax laws apply to you.
- Don’t be fooled by the 1 month immigration visitor extension.
Are you or any of your friends or family a US Citizen or a Green Card Holder?
You may be required to file a U.S. Tax Return as well as the Canadian Tax Return.