Who Can Claim Moving Expenses?

You can deduct eligible moving expenses including transportation, storage, meals, real estate selling costs, and temporary lodging you paid during the year if the following apply:

  • You moved to work or run a business. If the move was to study full-time at an educational institution that offers post-secondary courses, only against certain types of taxable income.
  • You moved at least 40 kilometers closer to your new work or school.
  • You have not been reimbursed.

If you pay expenses after the year of your move, you may be able to claim them for the year you pay them. You may carry forward unused amounts until you have earned enough eligible income at the new location to claim them.

Keep your receipts and consult our firm to ensure you are getting the tax savings to which you are entitled.